1. It is not a research article it is a short description of real life experience of a Dayee who is intensively working in internet for the last fifteen years. I remember that about 15 years back in a discussion group in London I summarized the main Islamic work in the slogan” Read, Read, Read; Write, Write, Write:Dawah, Da’wah, Da’wah. In fact all these are linked. Quality Da’wah depends on knowledge which can be acquired through deep, serious and continuous reading. On the other hand a large part of Da’wah in the present time depends on writing books and articles or in writing in various e-mail groups, web sites, bogs through internet.
2. Da’wah can be carried out through internets in various ways. One way is to spread good Islamic materials to different e-mail groups and individuals having e-mail address. One can gradually develop a list of e-mail addresses which will help him in his Da’wah work. I have personally developed a list of many thousand e-mail addresses of e-mail groups and individuals .To these people I send materials on a regular basis. I take these materials from important Islamic web-sites such as ikhwanweb.com, onislam.net, witness-pioneer.org etc. I sent both articles explaining Islam or exposing false propaganda against Islam and also impotent political news and statements of all Islamic movements in the world (Ikhwanul Muslimun, Jammat-e-islami of various countries, ISNA, ICNA and other movements working for Islam).
3. Second thing a Dayee can do through internet is to keep watch on anti-Islamic propaganda and respond to the false propaganda. He need not take notice of any propaganda of old issues like slavery or polygamy which have been clarified many times before. Occasionally response may be given to such old issues also if there is any new angle or such a response becomes necessary to save innocents minds from false propaganda.
4. Normally scholars always ignore these false attacks but I feel this is not wholly a right policy. If others are not responding then scholars should respond occasionally to clarify the essentials points. I have been doing this and I have found that anti Islamic propagandist are not well prepared , their knowledge is shallow and they are not well read on Islam. As a result they cannot stand before sound arguments and normally reacts by calling names which a Dayee has to ignore with patience. It is necessary to remain always academic and cool. A Dayee should always refer to sound evidence. He should reply only to points which may create confusion among the sincere people, he should not reply to frivolous points.
5. A Dayee, if he is active in internet will receive lots of questions; some caustic, some sincere. I have always answered to these questions and forwarded the reply to many other people to make them aware of the issue. In replying to questions of sincere people a Dayee should refer to some books or articles for more study.